Poster design is not as hard as you might thing - though making it look really good takes time and experience. Here is a checklist for what to put on the poster, and some other tips.
Checklist for what to put on a poster for an event.
- Event name
- Date, time (including duration) and venue
- Pricing. We usually say something like 'Free entry, donations welcome'
- Web reference or contact for more information - ask an administrator for a short url that redirects to your event page.
- Transition Cambridge logo
- 'A non-profit organisation' or something like that, to show people that we are not commercial.
- A short description of your event, explaining why someone should come to it.
- List of speakers if relevant
- Use colour to make it eye catching.
- Use pictures with people in, to make it look friendly and welcoming
- Keep text concise and make sure the text is clearly legible. The event name, in particular, must be readable from a distance.
- Put text in boxes with a clear or contrasting background for maximum legibility.
- Put the event title near the top of the poster.
Here are some example posters that we think are good.